Saturday, October 9, 2010

Indulgence

That's right, Ben & Jerry's.  Now I used to be able to finish a pint of this stuff no problem.  I dug in and ended up eating about a third of it.  But I had to stop myself, as I think I could have mindlessly kept shoving the whole pint in, as the sugar is still addictive.  And it was tasty, but not more or less than before.  I felt fine immediately afterwards.  Then I felt super bloated.  Then I walked up to lab to check on some cell culture (about a mile walk) and started feeling a little sick.  Burping a lot, feeling on the verge of puking a few times.  By the time I made it in I was definitely feeling sick.  Not disgustingly sick, just mildly unsettling.  After about an hour, the feeling went away.  And then I was kind of craving more.  Dangerous stuff!  I guess this just goes to show how even though it makes you feel like crap, it's still super addictive.

Verdict: Avoid

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the benefits of lactose intolerance... I could have had a spoonful and, um... not kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'walking up to the lab to check a cell culture'? intriguing. i wonder what we all do for a living...

    it's the addictive side of this stuff that is so insidious - we keep going back - well maybe not any more. ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you hear about that former surgeon general who published a book last year about nutrition in America? He basically slammed the fast food and packaged food industries for hitting the taste pleasure centers we can't resist and hitting them hard. Although it's hard to imagine Ben & Jerry involved in something so sinister: those wholesome, sweet Vermonters...

    ReplyDelete