Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day Nine A.K.A. Paradox of Choice A.K.A. The White Stripes

So I have this ongoing semi-argument with my wife that we think we want unlimited choice, but in actuality it makes our lives much harder, and I find that the PCP is helping my argument.  We have this strict diet to follow right now, which you would think limits your options of what to eat, but this isn't the case at all.  Since we only have X grams of carbs and Y grams of vegetables, we get really creative within these boundaries, and we see that our choices within these boundaries are near limitless.  Nobody wants to eat the same food all the time, so you find all kinds of creative and fulfilling ways to get your Y grams of vegetables.  If Patrick says eat whatever the hell you want (week one), we get confused, we have no rules, no boundaries and can't make a choice.  But now we have rules and boundaries, but instead of feeling confused and limited, we feel creative and liberated.  I'm convinced this is why Apple is taking over.  Like if you knew you could only be awake eight hours a day, would you sit around and watch TV?  Hell no, you'd live those eight hours to the fullest.  So enjoy your mass of food to it's fullest.

Anywho, I hope the project is going well for everyone.  I am excited and enjoying the feeling.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent way to think about things. You seen those paradox of choice experiments where if you give someone 30 types of jam to choose from they end up not buying any, but if you give them 3 they almost always buy one? Fascinating and I'm sure you're on to something with the Apple connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've totally hit on something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on your side in this argument--a few choices make it easier to pick something than a huge number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read an article about Trader Joe's that brought up the same point. Less choice is a secret of their success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The same thing applies with children, they actually feel more comfortable when they know what their limitations and boundaries are.
    For a while I was asking my kids at lunch and snack time what they wanted to eat and they had the hardest time figuring it out (they are 4 & 6)
    Now I just make lunch and call them. They eat pretty much whatever I have put in front of them and get back to what they were doing.
    Fuel up and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same with school! If I know what I can and cannot do, I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really interesting point to bring up.

    ReplyDelete